Sunday, July 13, 2008

Tea with a Diva

Like many Divas, I tend to not do any research because I know someone else will do it and tell me all I need to know. This weekend was no exception. I knew where I was going, what time I had to be there, and who was coming with me.

As we graced the steps of this fabulous mansion in Washington, D.C., I new I was headed for a treat when I received a visitor badge that read: "I'm Fabulous! Hillwood Museum". Finally, a place after my own heart!

My friends and I decided to first have tea. I thought we would have tea in a tranquil, beautiful place. Unfortunately, it was the complete opposite. The "cafe" was tight and as a result loud. Umph, maybe that was just us!

The
tea presentation was o.k. Not fabulous, however, like my button would have me believe. But luckily the tour of the mansion grounds made up for it!

Thankfully, I was provided with the audio tour earphones or else I would have missed this wonderful opportunity to learn about a 1930's Diva. The
Hillwood Museum was one of the residences where Marjorie Merriweather Post lived. Just a little background... She was the sole heir to the Post cereal fortune (courtesy of her dad) and was also married to E.F. Hutton. Remember when "E.F. Hutton talks, people listen"? Yeah, that's him!

Ms. Merriweather-Post collected various Russian art, Sevres porcelain, and other French artworks. In addition to her artwork, there is a fabulous rose and
Japanese-style garden. As part of her will, Ms. Merriweather-Post bequeath her estate to be turned into a museum.

For anyone visiting the Washington, D.C. area, I would highly suggest visiting this museum.

No comments: